Monday, December 8, 2008

Collateral

Collateral: n. Assets pledged by a borrower to secure a loan or other credit, and subject to seizure in the event of default. also called security.

My 4 year old may just be the only child her age who understands this word as it has recently become a favorite of mine. Example?

Today Lil had dance class. I had already told her if she was a good girl we would go get doughnuts after her class was over. (She acted up and ended up not getting those doughnuts) Anyway- after the class was over I had to run an errand to drop of a cell phone that was not mine... Anyway- so we are on our way to drop off the phone when Lil starts throwing a fit. I told her to stop. She didn't listen. I told her to stop now or she was gonna be sorry. She threw a bigger fit. I finally grabbed her pony (a doll she got in her last happy meal) off the passenger seat next to me and said, "IF you don't cut it out RIGHT NOW I am gonna throw your pony out the window! Do you understand?!" (I KNOW! I am so MEAN!) She said something to the tune of "I am not answering you." And so I started rolling down the window... To which she responded, "NO! NO! My pony! No! Momma! Don't! MY PONY!" I rolled the window back up and asked again. "If you keep being naughty I am gonna toss the pony, do you understand?" And she said, "Yes, momma. Can I have my pony now?" And my response? "Nope. Collateral!"

((She did, eventually, get her pony back. And all is well in the world again...))

2 comments:

heidijogoody said...

I am thinking your girls sure do have you on your toes like mine do me, I mean with Lilia and the pony and Lacy in the tub!

Diane Conn said...

Good for you for sticking to your guns!
Bad for you for even thinking about pony littering!