Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Years Resolutions...

I have never been much of a resolutions kind of person. In general I don't like setting myself up to fail. I am afraid to set a resolution for fear that I will putter out and NOT follow through, and that would be a total bummer, and would make me feel bad, and I don't like feeling bad... SO- why bother- right?


Well- this year a few things have been running through my head, and I really feel the need to change certain aspects of my life. Nothing mind altering-ly huge (except having another kid). Just little things I want to do. AND- I am putting them out here for all the world ( or at least my 17 followers) to see as a way to be held accountable for these changes. I WANT to change. And I WANT to be a better me. So on to my first ever true list of New Years Resolutions:

I want to lose weight
I want to add another member to my family
I want to have a son

Hehehe- okay seriously! No really. I will post the real ones...

*I do want to lose weight and be healthier- Joe and I went in to be tested for our Cholesterol and BP (amongst other things), and he has high blood pressure and I have moderately high cholesterol. He is already taking steps to correct his, but I can't do much until after Matthew is born. At which point I intend to join a group of neighbors for a morning workout. It's free, it's fun, and I can bring my kids... so why not?! Last year I started cooking healthier, because Joe had been given this same test, and had come back with both his BP AND his Cholesterol being high... we changed his diet up a bit to see if we could bring it down, and it worked! In changing his diet, I changed mine and the girls diet too... I will admit I slipped a bit during this pregnancy and have indulged in quite a few "treats" during the holidays. I feel pretty confident that once little Matthew is here, and I get back into the swing of things, I will be back on track as far as diet goes and therefore my cholesterol problems will most likely dissipate. Here's to hoping, I guess!

*I want to cut back on my frivolous free time activities... I have totally de-cluttered my Facebook and blog roll. I have cut back on my Internet time, and have dumped all the games on Facebook that took up all my spare time (things like Bejeweled Blitz and Solitaire games, etc.). I am now trying to follow through with this one and not add more fun and time wasting things.

*In it's place, I want to try to fill that excess free time with more important activities. Things like reading to my kids. Or playing games with them. Or taking walks, or bike rides, or playing at the park (in warmer weather). I want to fill that free time with things that uplift me, or make me feel productive, like scripture study, or baking bread, or cleaning {GASP!}. I want to make the most of my day. I want to sit down at the end of the night and be able to list off all the good and productive things I accomplished.

*Most importantly, I want to make it clear to my family how special and important they are to me. I want to tell my children every day, that I love them, and I want them to know that I mean it. Praising children is so much harder than it seems. It's easy to point out mistakes, and the bad things they do... but I want to be better at pointing out the good things and the cute things they do. I want to SHOW Joe every day that I love him. I can do that in the smallest ways... things like putting my shoes in the closet when I take them off. Actually folding the laundry I wash so he doesn't have to. Having a fairly clean kitchen and front room when he comes home so he doesn't feel the need to drop everything and clean the house...

I am already doing pretty well at a majority of these resolutions. I just hope the cleaner house part isn't just nesting, but good habits being built... I guess only time will tell huh?

4 comments:

Sariah said...

Awesome resolutions. :)

Unknown said...

nice Pam!

You are too funny for words.
So you "cut" down your blog roll. uh? I noticed my blog isn't listed. nice.

heidijogoody said...

These all sound like pretty darn good resolutions to me.

Kristin said...

What a great list of goals!