Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Sense of Foreboding

I feel like my life is playing out some warped storyline right this minute. I am sitting here waiting for the inevitable call that turns a pretty innocent book into a heart wrenching story of love and loss... I think I read too much.

Joe and I are happily married now for 7 1/2 years. It has been a GREAT 7 1/2 years. There have been a lot of struggles (what couple doesn't), and there have been a few tears (mostly ones caused by stubbed toes or small paper cuts filled with lemon juice or nail polish remover, and even a set of tears from a bell pepper seed in the nose...). Mostly though, there has been a whole lot of greatness. A bunch of love, and tons and tons of hugs.

Last night Joe and I had one of those struggles. I am not really sure I would call it a fight. Neither of us was yelling, there was no "His side vs. My side." He stated a fact that I was startled to hear and, quite frankly, very bothered by. I told him so, he told me I was over reacting, I tearfully agreed- mostly... He went to bed. I stayed up, calmed down and followed him to bed a few hours later. He slept on his side, I slept on mine. The dog slept between us.

This morning he left for an overnight business trip. He hopped a plane to Vegas and will be flying back home tomorrow. I know this is totally melodramatic, but well, yeah... I can't help but worry that something will happen to him, and I won't ever get the chance to patch up what happened last night. In fact, I am SURE that I am overreacting, but it all seems like the perfect plot to a story. I can even hear myself, years down the road, tearfully giving advice to my children and grandchildren never to let a fight leave the house unresolved. Yeah- I know. Melodramatic. But I can't help it. I am praying I DON'T get a call today. No Las Vegas PD calling to say that he was killed, no Delta Airlines calling to say there was a plane crash. No Highway Patrol calling to say that he had a motorcycle accident on his way to or from the airport... Yeah- All this is what keeps floating through my head. UGH! I really need to put the books away.

I am sure it is all my overactive imagination, and that I am just a bit wound up from my lack of sleeping last night.

Oh, and for those of you who are insanely curious, as I know I would be one of them if this were not my story, Joe just told me something coming up at his job that upset me. Nothing morally wrong or anything of that nature. Just a shift in his hours. A not at all great shift in his hours...

I think I may just bite the bullet and call him. Turn this warped story in my head into a happy ending. Then maybe, just maybe, I will go find me some sappy novel to read while I await a whole slew of books bound to appear on my doorstep in the next week. Two of which are love stories and the third? A mythical action/adventure with a touch of love intertwined... me and my love stories!

Oh, and interestingly enough, I read a whole book series in this last week that quite frankly, surprised me. A few years back I watched the movie Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Not that bad a movie, really... I also remembered vaguely that the movie was based on a novel. This last week I found the novel at the library, and out of sheer boredom (since I was having a hard time finding a good book to borrow for myself) I picked it up and brought it home. I was surprised at how well the movie's storyline fit the book. Well, I was also pleasantly surprised at the writing style. It was a pretty good read. 2 days later, I returned it and got the other 3 books... yeah- all three. I finished reading the 4th book this morning. Quick reads. Good writing. Interesting plot. And a mostly happy ending. Just the way I like em. In case anyone is bored and looking for a time killer, check out the Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants series. And no worries, there isn't any cliff hangers. The series is complete and each book stands on its own. So there is nothing at the end of 2 that is desperate to be resolved in 3, etc. All in all a pleasant read.

Off to make a call and find a book...

2 comments:

stacey said...

That always happens to me too! It seems like right before Tyson travels we have a minor argument and then I feel bad the entire time he's gone and I worry like crazy! So annoying! Hopefully once you called Joe you felt better.

I JUST started reading The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants yesterday. I've never seen the movie and SO many people have been recommending it lately. So I caved and bought the first book. So far I'm loving it!

heidijogoody said...

so will you let us know how this turned out! I am sure it was all fine.