Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Subtlety and Games? No thanks!


A few days after Joe's and my first "date" :) There was another party. Having acquired his phone number, I made a call to him to see if he was going to the party. While on the phone with him I learned two things- #1. He is incredibly intuitive with handyman duties (he was under his mom's sink fixing her garbage disposal when I called)... and #2. He is not one for game playing and the likes. He asked me point blank on the phone, "Do you like me?" My thoughts: "Well two can play at this game, buddy!" What I said: "Yes!" Needless to say the elephant in the room was gone. It was out in the open. I don't remember if he reciprocated the statement, though I don't think he did. But he didn't run away screaming so I figured it was a pretty good guess that he was okay with it...


Over the course of the next month, we hung out quite often, went to plenty of Institute parties and activities, went on plenty more dates and learned more about each other. Unfortunately, one of the things I learned about him was that his stay in California was temporary... He had returned from his mission and come to stay with his mom for a month and a half (ish) before moving back to Utah to live with his dad and attend The University of Utah (where he had already completed a year before his mission). We decided to make the most of his time in California- no promises or strings attached. At one point during the course of our dating, my car needed a tune up and ended up back in the shop... I needed a ride to and from work everyday for a week or more, and Joe was kind enough to drive me... The first time he dropped me off, I hopped out of his car and said, "Thanks! Love ya!" shut the door, walked into the restaurant I was working out, turned totally pale, and realized I had just told him I LOVED HIM! ACK! I totally didn't! We BARELY knew each other! ACK! I waited about half an hour for him to get home before calling to clarify the absolute truth... "Love ya!" was how I frequently ended conversations with my friends- which is totally true. I probably told my closer friends that I loved them 2-3 times a day... So after smoothing things over, I hung up the phone... but not before saying, "Okay- Love ya! Bye." CRAP! I am such an idiot! Luckily Joe didn't run for the hills after I confessed my "love" for him the second time in an hour... On December 2 it became official. We were exclusively dating...

By the time it was time for Joe to move back to Utah, I was pretty hooked. I was admittedly "In Like" with him. He admitted he felt the same. We talked and decided it wouldn't hurt to try the long distance relationship thing. I mean, really- what's the worst that could happen? We decide it doesn't work out and break up? And how is that worse than breaking up right now? So that was that. He left the week before Christmas. When he left I found random surprises he had left for me. He had left his favorite tape (Dave Matthews Band, Before These Crowded Streets) on my bedside table with a dozen roses and a little note. He had introduced me to DMB, and I really liked their music... it was one of his few possessions not in Utah. Also, his mom had asked me to house sit for her while she drove with Joe to UT to visit family for Christmas, and I found a note from Joe in her house... :) He may not think he is much of a romantic, but I sure thought so...


Stay Tuned for Installment 4: Thank Goodness for Modern Technology!

2 comments:

heidijogoody said...

Looks like Joe has a forward side too!
PS I was just barely 19 when we got married... 18 in all those pictures.

Ina said...

Pam you guys are too funny! A few months befor I met Shiloh I broke up with a guy because I was way to young for those things and then I ran away for 3 months to come home and meet Shiloh. Funny how that works and now I can offically feel like an oldy we got engaged when I was 19 and married when I was just barely 20. So much older then you and Heidi. :)